When you invest in technology and you are not afraid to experience new paths, you can discover new texture and develop fresh and tasty culinary ideas. This is the case with my Vitamix.
I love pumpkin pie but I know that it contains too much calories. Sadly, it is not possible to enjoy this sweet treat every day.
For Thanksgiving, I have made the traditional pumpkin pie and for the first time, I have used my Vitamix to prepare the filling. It was so creamy that I started to plan new recipes (savory and sweet ones) using as a base the pumpkin puree that I was able to obtain using my blender. Among the different new recipes that I had time to develop over the past 4 months, pumpkin pie pudding is one of my favorites. Easy to do and so tasty!
The taste of the pumpkin pie without the calories from the crust… a real indulgence!
With the Halloween festivity, pumpkins’ carving is fanatical and these gourds are so charming in their role of Jack-o-lantern. With Thanksgiving, we can enjoy a classic – pumpkin pies, but this is only one time the year.
Pumpkins are more than these two memorable events, and we forget that they are actually one of the most nutritious fruits out there. In the context of a diversified diet, it is important to enjoy pumpkins on a more regular basis. Why?
- Because it is one of the very low calorie vegetables. One hundred grams pumpkin puree provides just 34 calories and contains no saturated fats or cholesterol,
- Pumpkin is an often-overlooked source of fiber, but with three grams per 100 grams pumpkin puree, it can keep you feeling full for longer on fewer calories,
- Pumpkin is a storehouse of many anti-oxidant vitamins such as vitamin-A and vitamin-E,
- One hundred grams pumpkin puree contains more than 311% of our recommended daily intake of vitamin A, which aids vision, particularly in dim light,
- One hundred grams pumpkin puree gives you 5 % of your daily vitamin E needs. This vitamin keeps your immune system working properly and also protects your cells from damage that can lead to certain types of disease such as cancer,
- Pumpkin contains one of the richest supplies of bioavailable carotenoids, the compounds that give the gourd their bright orange color. Carotenoids include beta-carotene that can be converted by the body into a form of vitamin A for additional protection. Moreover, this boost of beta-carotene protects also the immune system and may play a role in inflammation reduction and cancer prevention
- It is also a rich source of minerals like copper, calcium, potassium and phosphorus.
Pumpkin soup, roasted pumpkin, risotto, pies or cookies… The options are endless, and our souvenirs eternally sweet, giving us watering mouth. This pumpkin pie pudding is light in calories and so easy to make.
I think it is time to cook this simple recipe and enjoy this super food without any restriction.
This recipe is for four servings.
0ne pumpkin (or half of two different ones)
I try to choose small pumpkins because they are normally a bit sweeter. I also try to use a combination of different pumpkins like pie pumpkin, sugar pie, red kuri, kabocha, delicata, carnival, or acorn (to name some of them). This really depends of the season (autumn vs winter or early spring), and more importantly, of what is available at my local organic supermarket.
1/2 can (150 grams) sweetened condensed milk
1/2 to 1 cup (250 ml) cold water or 2% milk
Depending of the pumpkin’s moisture after being roasted, you may need to add the cold water.
1 teaspoon of ground all spices
1/2 teaspoon of ground clove
1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
3 to 4 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
The first step is to roast the pumpkin:
Rinse your pumpkins under warm water, removing any dirt or debris
Cut the pumpkins in half on a large cutting board, with a sharp knife
Cut each half into smaller pieces
Scoop out the seeds with a metal spoon or a paring knife
Lay the pumpkin pieces face side down in a large baking dish (and not how I did in the picture above)
Cover with 1.5 cups of water
Bake at 350° for 45-60 minutes (depending on size) or until tender, using a fork to check
Remove from oven and scoop out insides, discarding skin
Store in refrigerator in a glass container. It can be kept up to 5 days in refrigerator.
The second step is to blend together all the components
Place all ingredients into your blender container starting with the condensed milk, 150 ml water, the different spices and the roasted pumpkin (600 grams) and secure lid
Select low speed (variable 1 for the vitamix)
Turn your machine on and slowly increase speed to max (variable 10 for the vitamix)
Blend for 45 seconds or until desired consistency is reached
Add more water if necessary and blend again for a few seconds
Spoon evenly into 4 ramekins, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight
Serve chilled … it is the best way to enjoy it.
A few words of advice: Use either homemade pumpkin puree, or canned organic pumpkin puree to be sure to have a nice bright orange color, avoid to use the regular canned pumpkin puree because the color sometimes can be muddy brown. We want to have a yummy “good looking” pudding. Occasionally, I also add 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder to give a spicy kick to my pumpkin pie pudding. It is quite delicious.